We have an open position for an economist who can research, survey, design, and analyze methods for internalisation of externalities such as greenhouse gas emissions, pollution, labour exploitation, and damage to the epistemic commons into alternative economic systems, protocols, and cultures designed from the ground up.
The primary project of Heliax is Anoma, a suite of protocols and mechanisms based on distributed ledger (blockchain) technology. Anoma intends to act as a coordination mechanism, much like how people use money, speech and language to transmit information about their internal preferences for mutual benefit. It distinguishes itself by enabling the use of private cash of any fiat or digital currency, as well as bartering among any number of parties. In addition to Anoma, Heliax works on open-source projects which are part of the Anoma ecosystem, including but not limited to research in cryptographic libraries, and tools that refine the way user preferences can be expressed.
Heliax is a remote-first public goods lab which researches, develops, deploys and maintains open-source protocols and mechanisms designed to serve the everyday needs of humanity. Using this, we build vertically integrated open-source products and networks that form coherent open systems, which are capable of acting as an alternative to existing exploitative systems, such as the existing financial system. With team members located around the world, our work culture is characterized by open-allocation, where team members have a high degree of freedom and autonomy in choosing when to work, what to work on, and whom to work with.
- Conduct research surveys and conduct primary research in the areas of economic externality internalisation, such as carbon taxation, and local sovereignty, such as local currencies
- Analyze proposed protocols regarding properties such as security, privacy, and scalability
- Academic or research background in economics or related social sciences
- Basic understanding of blockchain technologies and associated research
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Having been involved in a project all the way from design to implementation
- Familiarity with carbon taxation
- Familiarity with local currencies
- Competitive compensation in a negotiable mix of salary and equity.
- Remote or local (Zürich/Zug, Berlin). When remote, preferred if mostly located within (+/- 7 hours) Central European time zones.
- Ideally someone who enjoys nature and hiking 🏔️.